Recall for half a million BMW 5 and 6 series due to battery cable


BMW-5-Series-recall-battery-cable

21. 6. 2019 In Misc


BMW has announced a recall for more than 526,000 5-Series and 6-Series models in some European countries including the UK (model codes E60, E61, E63 and E64).

The recall covers up to 17-year-old vehicles manufactured between February 2002 and July 2010, where the corrosion can occur at a screwing connection between the battery positive line and the trunk floor. This can result in increased contact resistance, potentially leading to malfunction of the power supply and increased risk of fire.

“We assume that 60 percent of the vehicles will only need to be checked and no repair will be necessary,” a BMW spokesperson said to the kfz-rueckrufe.de website. The remaining 40 percent of owners will have to complete a two-hour repair in an authorized workshop. And it won’t be for the first time. Already in the spring of 2012, nearly 1.3 million BMW 5 and 6 Series owners had to take their cars for a similar check.



In addition to the domestic German market, BMW will send recall letters with the action code “0061070500” also in Austria, Poland, Russia, Scandinavia, the Baltic countries and the UK since the beginning of July 2019. Various long-term effects such as vibration and changing temperatures in conjunction with increased humidity affect the appearance of the defect. According to a spokesperson, the manufacturer is still monitoring the situation in other countries with similar conditions and then will decide on other measures.

BMW had a similar recall due to faulty battery cable connectors already in May. At that time, it covered the BMW 1, 3, X1 and Z4 series, while we wrote about it in our regular weekly review.

-rb-


Where now?


Source: kfz-rueckrufe.de

Tags:


What the owner should do?

If you read about a recall that you think may affect your car, you should make immediate contact with a dealer or workshop that’s been officially authorised to perform repairs on behalf of the manufacturer and ask for the details.

If you wish fully comprehensive vehicle check, with more than 80 data points about the history of the car, then we suggest going to HPI-Check, which provides information on a specific vehicle using also the vehicle registration number.


About the Author
Roman Beránek
Czech independent motoring journalist, ex-editor of CNC's Auto.cz website, former host of the CzechTV's "Automotorevue" show. He founded the car-recalls.eu website in 2016 to make car owners better informed and to help to improve road safety. Donate? paypal.me.

Latest Recalls

Skoda-Octavia-2014-camshaft-screws-recall 9. 11. 2019

Skoda Octavia (2014 - 2015)

  8. 1. 2014 - 29. 1. 2015
The screws on the camshaft adjuster may become loose. As a result, the engine oil will leak onto the ...
     78
Skoda-Fabia-2014-camshaft-screws-recall 9. 11. 2019

Skoda Fabia (2014 - 2015)

  8. 1. 2014 - 29. 1. 2015
The screws on the camshaft adjuster may become loose. As a result, the engine oil will leak onto the ...
     42
Skoda-Rapid-2014-camshaft-screws-recall 9. 11. 2019

Skoda Rapid (2014 - 2015)

  8. 1. 2014 - 29. 1. 2015
The screws on the camshaft adjuster may become loose. As a result, the engine oil will leak onto the ...
     12

Alfa Romeo | Alpina | Aston Martin | Audi | Bentley | BMW | Bugatti | Buick | Cadillac | Chevrolet | Chrysler | Citroën | Dacia | Daewoo | Dodge | Ferrari | Fiat | Ford | GMC | Honda | Hummer | Hyundai | Infiniti | Jaguar | Jeep | Kia | Lamborghini | Lancia | Land Rover | Lexus | Lotus | Maserati | Maybach | Mazda | Mercedes-Benz | MG | Mini | Mitsubishi | Morgan | Nissan | Opel | Peugeot | Pontiac | Porsche | Renault | Rolls Royce | Rover | Saab | Seat | Smart | SsangYong | Subaru | Suzuki | Škoda | Tesla | Toyota | Vauxhall | Volkswagen | Volvo |
1986 | 1987 | 1988 | 1989 | 1990 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
Weekly overview reports of RAPEX notifications, published free of charge in English on https://ec.europa.eu/rapex, © European Union, 2005 – 2019
The official contact points of the Member and EFTA-EEA States provide the information published in these weekly overviews. Under the terms of Annex II.10 to the General Product Safety Directive (2001/95/EC) responsibility for the information provided lies with the notifying party. The Commission does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided.